MCC primarily advocates before the three branches of state government. Staff, however, will also engage Michigan’s Congressional delegation if requested by the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops. MCC supports:
- Legislation that extends full legal protection to individuals and institutions regarding conscience rights in health care, child placement services, and employment decisions.
- Reauthorization of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) to ensure the equitable participation of nonpublic school students and teachers.
- Expansion of federal school choice policies to benefit Michigan families.
- Legislation that would codify the Deferred Action Against Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program for individuals who were brought to this county when they were children.
- Comprehensive immigration reform that promotes family unity, streamlines the process for legal immigration, includes a path for low-skilled workers to work in the United States, and includes a path toward citizenship for undocumented persons already in the United States.
- ‘A Blueprint for the Common Good’ (02/09/15)
- Statement Regarding New Lawsuit Filed by Michigan Catholic Conference Against “HHS Mandate” (11/14/13)
- Sens. Levin and Stabenow Applauded for Immigration Vote (06/28/13)
- Michigan Catholic Conference Files Lawsuit Against Federal Government Over HHS Mandate (05/21/12)
- Catholic Conference Praises MI Congressional Delegation Members Who Voted to Support D.C. Opportunity Scholarship Program (03/31/11)
- The Word from Lansing Column:
- Freedom to Serve (Focus Essay, 9/2017)
- For Your Marriage
- Por Tu Matrimonio
- United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
- Catholics Confront Global Poverty
- National Association of State Catholic Conference Directors
- National Catholic Bioethics Center
- USCCB Initiative: Marriage: Unique for a Reason
- Justice for Immigrants
- MCC Legal Response to the HHS Mandate (MCC Board of Directors, 5/2012)
MCC in the News
- Faith Leaders Embrace New Mission: 2020 Census (Detroit News, 05/28/20)
- Michigan Launches Census Committee Amid Concerns of Minority Undercount (Detroit Free Press, 06/14/19)
- MCC ‘Pleased’ With Decision to Settle Lawsuit Against HHS Mandate (The Michigan Catholic, 10/18/17)
- Catholic Church Settles in Contraceptive Litigation (MIRS, 10/18/17)
- National Effort on Religious Liberty Seen Helping State Advocacy on Issue (Catholic News Service, 06/23/17)
- Refugees Deserve Our Help (Detroit News, 12/18/15)
- MCC Pleased Injunction Granted on Contraception Mandate (Detroit News, 01/02/14)
- MCC Challenges the Affordable Care Act Contraception Mandate (MLive, 11/14/13)
- U.S. Moves Morning-After Pill Over the Counter, Lowers Age Limit to 15 (Detroit Free Press, 04/30/13)
- Editorial: Obamacare Suits Seek to Affirm Religious Rights (Detroit News, 05/24/12)
- Lansing Update:
- Unaccompanied Migrant Children Backgrounder (7/2014)
- Webinar: Children Traveling Alone: The Catholic Church’s Response (06/20/14)
- Mission to Central America: The Flight of Unaccompanied Children to the United States (11/2013)
- Visit Poverty USA and learn how you can combat poverty in America
- En Español: Pobreza USA
- Video from Michigan Bishops on HHS Lawsuit (6/2012)